Trudie’s lemon squares

Whenever I make these lemon squares, I think of my sister, who is quite a few years older than me. The day she got married and took off with her husband, leaving me as the last one behind at home, felt like the end of the world to me at 15 years old. Then I got to visit them and it all changed when she served up a plate filled with these delicacies. From then on, I couldn’t wait to go visit. She always had something new and interesting and exciting going on in her house and life and her tins were filled with lemon squares and cookies of all sorts and the most delicious dried peaches straight from the farm….sounds like perhaps the main attraction for visiting! At some stage I inherited her recipe and it has become a favourite in our family too and of everybody else that “inherits ” it along the way.

It is a non – baking cookie/biscuit and can be kept in the fridge for a long time, if you’re so lucky to have any left to last that long.

lemonsquare1-18-dec-07-5-08-50-pm.jpg

Trudie’s lemon squares

• 2 packets of  butter biscuits (Petit beurre)
  • 250 g butter
  • 1 can of sweet condensed milk
  • 250 ml desiccated coconut
  • lemon juice and zest

Lemon icing:

• About 20g butter
  • 450ml icing sugar
  • lemon zest and juice to taste
  1. Melt the butter over low heat and add the condensed milk.
  2. Stir in some lemon zest and juice to taste and mix well.
  3. Add the coconut.
  4. Break in the biscuits and mix well until the biscuits are finely broken up en well coated.
  5. Press into a greased lamington tin, 24 x 34 x 2cm.
  6. Leave to cool down completely or place in fridge.
  7. Combine the ingredients for the lemon icing and mix to a smooth icing.
  8. Cut in squares and decorate with some candied lemon and lime zest.

Serves about 48 squares

This is an entry for Christmas cookies from around the world 2007, here at Susan from Foodblogga.

recipe-18-dec-07-6-42-11-pm.jpg

14 responses

1. Oh my… I been baking all the week end, including today.. and I am tired But I think that lemon square looks delicious and maybe I include in my cookies Christmas boxes

18/12/2007 at 21:28

2. Wow such an amazing recipe, I don’t think these would last long enough in my house they look so delicious! Great recipe, it is lovely when you can pass a recipe on through your family. :-)

18/12/2007 at 22:38

3. Ann

Ooh… this one will get tried very soon. As always it’s beautiful, Ronell. I do so love it when you’re posting often! Dropping by here is my special treat. :-)

19/12/2007 at 01:19

4. canelaycomino

These look fabulous! What else may be used for the butter biscuits?

19/12/2007 at 13:06

5. I love that these cookies evoke memories of family for you, Ronell, and am so appreciative that you’ve decided to share them with us for Eat Christmas Cookies. Cheers, Susan

19/12/2007 at 13:53

6. Sorry, that last comment was me, Susan. :)

19/12/2007 at 13:55

7. I love citrus flavors and these are so delicate!

19/12/2007 at 17:40

8. i love your first photo!! it deserves a front page on cuisine magazines.. :-) your lemon squares made my day

20/12/2007 at 12:41

9. I was just thinking my oven needed a break! Thanks for sharing this great family recipe!

20/12/2007 at 17:46

10. culinography

What lovely cookies! Best of luck in the finals!

04/01/2008 at 02:56

11. Thank you for visitng and the kind comments!
    Canelaycomino: you can actually use any dry, or arrow root biscuit of your choice.
    Ronell

06/01/2008 at 10:40

12. Pingback: Old fashioned jamdrop cookies and an old fashioned wedding. « Myfrenchkitchen

13. Pingback: 212 Sensational Christmas Cookies from Around the World 2007 | 212 Sensational Christmas Cookies from Around the World 2007 recipe | 212 Sensational Christmas Cookies from Around the World 2007 good food recipes

14. Pingback: Europe: Christmas Cookies from Around the World 2007 | Europe: Christmas Cookies from Around the World 2007 recipe | Europe: Christmas Cookies from Around the World 2007 good food recipes

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 310 other followers