Pineapple carpaccio with saffron syrup and pine nuts.

I had a crazy craving for pineapple yesterday, so I went on a hunt and found the sweet Victoria from South Africa, the big green andwatery pineapple produced in  Costa Rica, coming from Miami, Florida????…. and lastly the heavy, bland one from the Ivory coast. First painting them(and in the meantime eating some), I afterwards made a carpaccio from the small , sweet Victoria, which has a beautiful dark yellow colour and an intense flavour.

…Pineapple carpaccio with saffron syrup and pine nuts

1. Take a pineapple of your choice(I prefer the small dark yellow Victoria), peel and cut into thin slices.
  2. Arrange on dessert plates.
  3. In the meantime, bring a 1/2 cup of water to the boil, add 1/4 cup of sugar, a pinch of saffron threads, juice of half a lemon and zest of a lemon. (Be careful fro too much saffron, it is very powerful. Two to three strings on 1/2 cup water is plenty) Reduce until syrupy, about 15 minutes. If you want a thicker syrup, simmer for longer.
  4. Leave aside to cool down.
  5. Dry roast a handful of pine nuts in a pan, leave to cool.
  6. Spoon some juice over the pineapple slices, decorate with some pineapple leaves and sprinkle with the roasted pine nuts.

One Victoria pineapple serves 2 people

…Gigi…

12 responses

1. Pingback: Splashy pineapples « Africantapestry

2. I love pineapple, and this looks so yummy delicious.

17/10/2008 at 16:43

3. Your painting of the pineapple at Africantapestry is wonderful – it looks so juicy and luscious. It is great to see that you are returning to your old self again and feeling much better. The pineapple carpaccio looks very delicious.

18/10/2008 at 00:12

4. I adore the saffron on this pineapple – now I have a craving! A little bit of sunshine right there.

18/10/2008 at 17:38

5. This time of the year those sweet little pineapples are in abundance here….lovely idea!

20/10/2008 at 07:42

6. A clever idea Ronell, very original!

21/10/2008 at 02:57

7. Oh, so simple yet chic.

22/10/2008 at 02:39

8. Love the dish, but more than that, I love your new design for recipes. So pretty, with your own drawings. I hope you publish your own cook book one day with all the drawings in it. I ll be a faithful reader :-)

26/10/2008 at 06:10

9. Another gloriously simple recipe and gorgeous art! I never think to buy pineapples over here, but after this recipe and a pineapple carpaccio that I had at a restaurant recently, I have no idea why I don’t!

27/10/2008 at 14:18

10. Something about the ultra-thin sliced pineapple makes it so much more elegant. I like your pineapple leaf decoration too Ronell.

31/10/2008 at 18:42

11. How beautiful… The syrup sounds divine and roasted pine nuts? Mmmmm… I particularly love your header – so French; enjoying a meal outdoors with such a spectacular view… brings back beautiful memories for me of sweet moment’s I’ve experienced in France.

12/11/2008 at 11:51

12. If you like saffron, try making this savory rigatoni with braised chicken and saffron cream. It is unbelievable.

26/09/2010 at 12:03

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 318 other followers