Scottish shortbread.(Sablés ecossais)

I love sablés. with coffee or tea or on their own. You can’t go wrong with having sablés in your pantry/cookie tin. These round Scottish shortbread bring back happy memories, especially baked in these rounds and broken into triangles. Hope you like them too..

sablés écossais &

sablés écossais recette

Pincée de sel:

• It can also be baked as squares, by rolling/pressing into a rectangular pan and cut into squares.
  • Piercing with a fork is tradition.
  • Try adding fresh thyme leaves or the tiny flowers(no hard stems) to the dough before rolling.
  • Try adding lavender flowers to the dough. (Be careful, as lavender can be very powerful.

..pinching a scolloped edge with the fingers, piercing with a fork and scoring into segments..

sablés écossais 2

..sprinkle with castor sugar..

sablés écossais 3

Recipe adapted from Cuisiner! 280 recettes: Larousse

A great film for other movie lovers like me…even though it isn’t weekend yet. Keep this film in mind. I am not sure whether it is available in English or with  subtitles, but it is truly a great film with great acting, great script, great directing.

..La source des femmes..

..à la prochaine fois..

11 responses

1. You sables are so sophisticated Ronelle. Everything you make is pretty. I know I would love the lavender in the dough.

23/10/2013 at 16:08

2. barbaralilian

Your shortbread looks so light & crumbly.I have lots of different recipes but I’ll have to try yours. Never used rice flour is this available in most s/markets or only from specialist shops ?

23/10/2013 at 16:36

3. Not surprisingly, these are the prettiest sablés I’ve ever seen! I love Pierre Hermé’s black olive sablé recipe, as found in Dorrie Greenspan’s book ‘Around My French Table.’

23/10/2013 at 17:23

4. Thanks Laura. Black olive sabls…that sounds deicious! Pierre Herms is a wizard. I love his recipes, but I don’t know this one; will look out for it, as I love olives too – few things I don’t love actually…!

Hope you are doing well..paintings, drawing, eating, being mamy.. bisous

Ronelle Myfrenchkitchen Coin Perdu Africantapestry Caf des artistes

23/10/2013 at 17:42

5. Thanks Barbara!

I find rice flour at some Grands surface in the bio aisle, or else at the biostore. I actually used a farine de riz complet in this recipe, because my riz blanc was finished and I was a little afraid it wouldn’ work, but they are still as light as a feather and softly crumbly. bisous

Ronelle Myfrenchkitchen Coin Perdu Africantapestry Caf des artistes

23/10/2013 at 17:44

6. Thanks you Sam, what a nice compliment! I have tried lavender before, but I think I have used too much because they smelled like soap..but they looked very pretty! bises

Ronelle Myfrenchkitchen Coin Perdu Africantapestry Caf des artistes

23/10/2013 at 17:46

7. Hi!I googled our the trailer for la source des Femmes, looks like a great movie. I hope to watch it soon. Thank you for sharing!

23/10/2013 at 21:22

8. Every movie you have recommended has been loved:)

Your shortbreads are gorgeous dear Ronelle..
    Your mat too!
    Ainsi..comme toujours..tes aquarelles..
    That’s how I first fell in love with you:)

23/10/2013 at 22:45

9. Just beautiful!Back from PARIS!
    Thanks for your e-mail!!!

24/10/2013 at 02:29

10. Beautiful and so tempting! A buttery delight.

28/10/2013 at 09:12

11. Nic

You can’t go wrong with a Scottish shortbread, looks lovely!

28/10/2013 at 18:21

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 422 other followers