Country onion soup(Soupe à l’oignon champêtre)

Winter has suddenly hit us with a bang and out came the soups of which onion soup is a favorite. The secret of a good onion soup rests on a good stock (preferably homemade) and of course the slow, deep caramelizing of the onions. If you want a quick soup for dinner, this is not it. But no doubt, for a cold day, an onion soup, topped with a melted cheese crouton, is pure heaven.

soupe à l'oignon 2 3482x3137

soupe l'oignon recette-001

Pincée de fleur de sel:

• The longer you can caramelize your onions, the more flavorful they will be. It is a myth that onions can be caramelized within 10 minutes.
  • I cut my onions in quarters and then slice the quarters finely, because I don’t like long strips dripping soup  from my spoon.
  • To serve country style, serve the soup in a tureen with the croutons on top and serve each portion from the tureen.
  • It can also be served individually by placing a slice of bread on the soup, top with cheese and grill for a few minutes to melt the cheese.
  • Don’t be skimpy with the thyme as it adds to the flavor.
  • To really serve a soup and not soaked bread, don’t serve too much bread in the soup, for it soaks up a lot of the liquid and you will be left with only onions and soaked bread.
  • Serve the soup hot in warmed  bowls.

..a variety of onions..

Onion soup 1 3314x3096 3314x3096

..onions cut into quarters and sliced thinly, cooked until translucent and caramelized until dark and soft…

soupe a l'oignon

countrybread, called a tourte here inCorréze, sliced and torn into smaller portions..

Onion soupe 2 4669x3213

..Vieux Cantal( aged Cantal cheese) broken into small chunks and sprinkled on the bread and soup for a country dinner..

onion soup 3 3770x2635

To all my American friends and readers…have a Happy Thanksgiving!

..à la prochaine fois..

Ronelle

20 responses

1. Yum … always a favorite!

27/11/2013 at 18:23

2. A fabulous soup! So comforting and tasty.

Cheers,

Rosa

27/11/2013 at 19:00

3. Mmmm! Even today, when I’ll be “caramelising” in 30+ degrees! :-)

27/11/2013 at 21:03

4. One of my faves..j’adore les photos aussi..toutes.

27/11/2013 at 21:57

5. Mmmmm….I will need to make this soon! Ronelle, I looked up Coin Perdu in Word Reference. Is it correct to say the English meaning is “backcountry” or “hinterland?”
    I like that. I also live pretty much in the “coin perdu.”

27/11/2013 at 22:28

6. LOVELY, I just made a BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP tonight I will definitely try your onion soup…………..always fun to get a new recipe!

28/11/2013 at 02:26

7. I love the look of your onion soup.especially the sketch. I’ve just been given a load of onions from my neighbour so I think I’ll make some for Mr France, Although I love onions, I can only eat them in small amounts. Thanks for the tip on the type of bread to use, .

28/11/2013 at 18:01

8. Thank you joey…hope you have lovely Thanksgiving! ronelle

Ronelle Myfrenchkitchen Coin Perdu Africantapestry Caf des artistes

28/11/2013 at 18:09

9. Mrci rosa! ronelle

Ronelle Myfrenchkitchen Coin Perdu Africantapestry Caf des artistes

28/11/2013 at 18:10

10. Cover with a “lid”, Dianne to prevent too much “caramelizing”..hehe. Ronelle

Ronelle Myfrenchkitchen Coin Perdu Africantapestry Caf des artistes

28/11/2013 at 18:11

11. Merci Monique..trop gentille! Ronelle

Ronelle Myfrenchkitchen Coin Perdu Africantapestry Caf des artistes

28/11/2013 at 18:11

12. Thanks Caterine…Coin Perdu here means ” a forgotten corner” even though it is written inj the dictionaties literally as backwater or as you say backcountry. It means it is off the beaten track and not ‘known about’. Isn’t it great to live in one’s own little forgotten corner? Ronelle

Ronelle Myfrenchkitchen Coin Perdu Africantapestry Caf des artistes

28/11/2013 at 18:13

13. Oh, I LOVE a butternut soup too..if I’m not careful, I can eat it too much and by the end of the season, I can’t look at a butternut! Enjoy it!

Ronelle

Ronelle Myfrenchkitchen Coin Perdu Africantapestry Caf des artistes

28/11/2013 at 18:15

14. I can also only eat small amounts Barbara and when I have a soup, ony one bowl, but I cheat a little. I go more for the liquid, which is onion flavoured and I give my onions to Hartman who adores onions. It works for me. Thanks for the compliment re the sketch..have you done onions yet? They are The most delicious thing to paint, draw, sketch… Ronelle

Ronelle Myfrenchkitchen Coin Perdu Africantapestry Caf des artistes

28/11/2013 at 18:17

15. So glad to find your blog! Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

08/12/2013 at 22:01

16. I wish I had a bowl of that delicious soup on this very cold and snowy evening. Your soup and the bread look so inviting!

08/12/2013 at 23:51

17. Ahh yes dear Ronelle,

Hearty soup and bread to feed our souls.

Love,

Sharon

12/12/2013 at 19:22

18. Divine! I will show this to my husband, who also loves to make onion soup.

19/12/2013 at 00:55

19. Thank you Gale..so happy you liked it , welcome and have a very happy season! Warmest

Ronelle Myfrenchkitchen Coin Perdu Africantapestry Caf des artistes

21/12/2013 at 16:25

20. Thank you sharon!

Ronelle Myfrenchkitchen Coin Perdu Africantapestry Caf des artistes

21/12/2013 at 16:25

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 318 other followers