This is probably the best chocolate cake recipe out there. It is from the south African huisgenoot winning recipes and is truly a winner every time.
Baked with oil, it is easy, quick, light and fluffy and of course delicious. Someone also gave me the advice to bake it as cupcakes and freeze for up to six months without the icing. That way you can take out as many as you need and decorate as you wish.
Oil chocolate cake
- 250 ml boiling water
- 125 ml cacao
- 4 large egg yolks
- 4 large egg whites
- 375 ml sugar
- 5 ml vanilla extract
- 125 ml sunflower cooking oil
- 450 ml all purpose flour
- 15 ml baking powder
- 2 ml salt
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Oil 2 cake tin of 20 cm.
- Add the cacao powder tot the boiling water and leave aside to cool off.
- Beat the egg yolks and the sugar until fluffy and light and creamy.
- Add the sunflowr oil, vanilla extract and colled down cacao mix to the egg and sugar mixture.
- Sift the dry ingredients and add to the egg mixture.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into the batter.
- Divide the batter between the two cake tine and bake for 30 minutes at 180 degrees C.
- Leave to cool, remove and decorate with a butter icing.
My garden is in a state of drought and we aren’t allowed to water. But that is summer for you and fortunately I have planted drought resistant plants, because this happens every year.
…The iceberg roses just keep on flowering profusely…
…In the potager, the agapanthus are lush against the backdrop of washing on the drying line…
…My chickens enjoy the potager far too much…so much so that I have no crop of radishes left…
…White petunias in the white garden, such a grateful summer annual..