Courgettes, zucchini for the Américains, are so versatile, easy to prepare and I think a vegetable eaten and enjoyed by almost everyone. It is a safe food to start introducing vegetables to babies and children generally prefer courgettes to peas. What’s not to like about courgettes. So, cheers to courgettes!
Pincée de fleur de sel:
- Add some cumin grains to the courgettes
- Spread some mustard on the base of the tart before adding the filling.
- Use puff pastry instead of the phylo.
- Replace the feta cheese with rounds of goats cheese and drizzle with honey.
Just as I think all the chicks are almost grown up, a hen shows up with a little new born chick fluttering around her. The buzzards are also informed by their secret sources that a newborn is availabe and they do take their chances. Unfortunately for them, there is nothing more fierce than a mother hen.
mother and chick
Danger in the sky
This is a quick starter, popular with everybody. It can be played up or down, with more vegetables added, or less or different ingredients. Instead of the pine nuts, pumpkin seeds can be added, in which case a roasted pumpkin seed oil would be perfect. Be sure to serve it with the courgettes still warm. A great dish for spring and summer, served on a hot spring day or a summer evening, while watching the sun fall away slowly below the horizon.
Courgette feta salad
- Olive oil, rosemary salt (or any other herbed salt)
- Four courgettes
- salad leaves – rocket, watercress, batavia…
- a handful of roasted pine nuts (or roasted flaked alomonds)
- feta cheese
- olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- teaspoon of dark honey
- Preheat the oven to 200 degr. C.
- Wash and slice the courgettes on the diagonal.
- Plce in and oven dish, sprinkle with olive oil and rosemary salt. Roast in the the oven until nicely caramelized.
- Place a mixture of washed and dried salad leaves on 4 plates.
- Serve the still warm courgettes on the salad leaves and top with crumbled feta cheese and dry roasted pine nuts (or almond flakes).
- Drizzle with olive oil, lemon juice, honey and finish off with a sprinkling of pepper.
- Serve immediately.
…in the footsteps of the shadows…