When the summer days are hot as they are here in late august and we are getting a bit tired of tomatoes, we look around for something different. cucumbers are still in season, so why not alittle salad or salsa if you will.
Some people have problems with digesting cucumber. To fascilitate the digestion, I peel it and remove the seeds. In this case, I leave the peel of one half on simply for the touch of green in the salad, but the whole cucumber can be peeled.
As you can see, it is very easy and very quick, perfect for those days where time and energy are lmited.
Pincée de fleur de sel:
- Peel the whole cucumber for better disgestion.
- Add chopped chives along with the spring onion and chives for a touch of green.
- Add a tsp of mild mustard to the vinaigrette for a more pungent salad.
Sunflowers for the home
The past weekend was summer. Beautiful long, lingering days. On weekends like this, you want energy. You want healthy. A ham spring roll.
Ham spring rolls
There is no formal recipe for this. See what your fridge and pantry comes up with and take the road to fresh and seasonal.
- Cut some vegetables into matchsticks. I’ve used carrot, cucumber, mango, rocket leaves and chives. Place a slice of ham on a chopping board and stack some vegetables onto the one end. roll up tight and secure with a toothpick or tie with a chive(softened in boiling water for a second or two).
- Serve with a dipping sauce made of natural joghurt and chopped herbs and splashed with a swirl of lemon juice.
- Or serve with a lime ginger sauce: A tablespoon of each – freshly squeezed lime juice, rice wine vinegar, mirrin, soja sauce and some grated ginger and chopped lemon grass. Taste and adjust.
This is an entry for Weekend herb blogging, hosted this week by Ahn at Foodloversjourney.