Salads are in. On their own or as a side dish, they are at the order ofthe day. It is summer, says the weather! This courgette salad couldn’t be easier or more delicious. It has ingredients that everybody loves, is in season and takes almost no time in preparing.
- Wash and slice 3 courgettes in sizes of your choice. Place in an ovenproof dish, drizzle liberally with olive oil, sprinkle with fresh thyme and bake at 180 degrees C for about 30 minutes. Leave aside to cool down completely.
- Arrange some salad leaves of your choice onto a plate. Add the cold courgette mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with crumbled feta, dry roasted pine nuts and serve with a balsamic vinaigrette.
- Serve with grilled chicken.
Serves 4 people
Pinch of salt:
- Add chopped spring onions to the salad.
- Add a handful of chopped mint to the salad and omit the thyme.
- Replace the courgettes with asparagus.
- Add some cooked sliced chicken for a complete meal.
Courgettes, zucchini for the Américains, are so versatile, easy to prepare and I think a vegetable eaten and enjoyed by almost everyone. It is a safe food to start introducing vegetables to babies and children generally prefer courgettes to peas. What’s not to like about courgettes. So, cheers to courgettes!
Pincée de fleur de sel:
- Add some cumin grains to the courgettes
- Spread some mustard on the base of the tart before adding the filling.
- Use puff pastry instead of the phylo.
- Replace the feta cheese with rounds of goats cheese and drizzle with honey.
Just as I think all the chicks are almost grown up, a hen shows up with a little new born chick fluttering around her. The buzzards are also informed by their secret sources that a newborn is availabe and they do take their chances. Unfortunately for them, there is nothing more fierce than a mother hen.
mother and chick
Danger in the sky