Pear and gorgonzola soup
1 chopped leek
2tbs chopped sage
4 William pears, peeled and cut into chunks
a chunk of gorgonzola cheese
1 cup vegetable stock
salt and pepper
milk or cream to taste
- Saute the leek and shallot in butter
- Add the pears and saute for a few minutes
- Add the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes or until the pears are tender.
- Add the herbs and cheese and process until smooth
- Season, add milk and cream to taste.
- Serve with a thin slice of pear, some crumbled cheese and some milled pepper
Footnote: Any blue chees of your liking can be substituted. I prefer to process the soup until smooth, stop processing before completely smooth, if you like it lumpy. It is equally delicious cold or at room temperature.
Grilled pears with goat’s cheese
2 William pears
100 g firm goat’s cheese, crumbled(not too finely)
TBS chopped sage, thyme and chives
4 chopped calamata olives
2 tsp creme fraiche
Tbs cider vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the pears in half lengthwise. Core and scoop some of the flesh out without damaging the skin. Rub with lemon juice.
- Roughly chop the flesh of the pear.
- Mix with the crumbled cheese, chopped herbs, vinegar, olives and gently stir in the creme fraiche.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Fill the pear halves with the cheese mixture, drizzle with some olive oil and bake for 10 minutes at 180 degrees C. Place under the grill for about two minutes to brown.
Footnote: Blue cheese can be substituted and walnuts added in place of olives.