December is chocolate time – chocolate for gifts, chocolate truffles, chocolate mousse, souflé, cookies, in a cup, saucy over veal….
Everybody has a truffle recipe. Mine comes from way back, from Letitia Prinsloo (owning Femenika at the time), who opened up the Institute of Culinary Arts in Stellenbosch SA, in 1995. I have not yet come across a more delicious chocolate truffle.
- 50g butter
- 20ml icing sugar
- 15 ml rum
- 2 egg yolks
- 250g finely grated chocolate(70% cocoa)
- 20ml cocoa
- 50ml ground almonds roasted
- melted dark chocolate
- Whisk the butter until soft.
- Add the sugar, rum, egg yolks, grated chocolate, cocoa and almonds and mix.
- Shape into small balls, roll in sifted cocoa and store in fridge.
- If preferred, melt 500g dark chocolate over gentle heat and dip the truffles into the melted chocolate, in place of rolling in cocoa, after you’ve let them cooled overnight in the fridge.
- Serve with a pinch of gold leaf for that festive sparkle.