Time for informal, relaxed picnics is here. Our summer weekends consist mostly of some working on the house and in the garden, some tennis, and then some extended dinners that linger along with our dusk…late and lazy. I love simple meals where colour and texture play a major role and each ingredient stands on its own. A long time ago, I once thought I made an innovative potato salad, just to have my youngest 10 year old daughter tell me: “I can’t eat this salad! It’s too complicated.”
That was a lesson never to be forgotten.
For a Sunday afternoon by the Loire river across our house, this is a typical salad we would pique nique on. Very ordinary, but spiced up with an interesting vinaigrette of your choice and accompanied by an array of cheese and grainy baguettes, not forgetting an ice cold Rosé, it becomes a meal I’m sure that is served frequently in paradise, which makes it one of the reasons why I intend on going there one day…
As usual, I don’t give a formal recipe , but will mention what I’ve used in my salad.
- Cut some vegetables in different shapes…carrots in spaghetti, roasted red peppers (of which I don’t bother to remove the peel), some mango slices, a few slices of smoked duck and cooked quinoa with sauteed onion. (Read more about quinoa. )
- A handful of fresh herbs; rocket, sage, large Italian parsley, chives, wild celeri and tarragon.
- Vinaigrette: make a puree of the small pieces of mango that you cut off the seed. Add some white balsamic vinegar, some poppy vinegar, salt and pepper, a small finely chopped shallot and add olive oil to your taste and whisk until creamy. I prefer a pungent vinaigrette.
- Add some cheese triangles, a handful of olives and a fresh baguette.
- Pack some ice cream in a cool bag along with the wine, or fresh fruit for dessert.
- And don’t forget a flask of good coffee for that wake-up call after the nap…
- Pack interesting layers of individual portions in picnic hampers.
- Take the vinaigrette separately in a little container and add to your salad just before serving.
- Finish off with cheese and fruit.