With our weather being somewhat cooler and the rain pouring down constantly, our bones are in need of some warmer nourishment. The grey skies whispered lemon chicken. So we had the old classic, lemon chicken with herbs. An ever popular meal, so easily done in the oven and sliced at the table, which leaves you with ample time to indulge in that book you just glance at every time you speed past it.
Oven baked lemon chicken with herbs
Do I need to give the recipe?
- Take a chicken, clean it. Flee into your garden and cut herbs to heart’s delight…tarragon is a must. Lemon cut into chunks is a must. As is some butter, salt and pepper and two or three shallots. Then just stuff the chicken with all ingredients, rub with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in a 180 deg. C oven for about an hour or until you have clear juices running when piercing the chicken into the thick flesh of the thigh next to the bone, normally the part which takes the longest to cook. Turn the chicken over and drizzle often with the pan juices.
- In the meantime prepare some vegetables. I used green asparagus, of which I snapped the ends off and some cherry tomatoes. Clean and dry them.
- When the chicken is done, remove from the pan and cover with foil on a serving platter. Skim off the excess fat from the pan.
- Arrange the asparagus in the pan and roast at 200 deg. c until nicely caramelized. Add the tomatoes 10 minutes before the asparagus is done and roast until the tomatoes start shrinking.
- Serve on the platter alongside the chicken, drizzle with the pan juices and serve the rest of the sauce on the side.
*for more about herbs and it’s uses, see “In my herb garden”
…the more you pick, the better I grow…
This is an entry for WHB, whith this week’s host being Wandering chopsticks.
16 thoughts on “Oven baked lemon chicken with herbs”
A simple yet delicious dish. And fresh herbs are the best!
Looks so delicious. Love the colour too,
Actually i love the whole platter
Ooooh, nothing beats roast chicken with lemon and tarragon… except perhaps my decadent chicken with honey and butter 🙂 This looks glorious and I love the idea of roasting asparagus etc. in the juices – inspired!
Thanks for the submission. Baked chicken is one of my all-time favorite recipes. I love your herb name plates. So cute! And the photos of your pantry and kitchen, oh my!
This sounds like a fantastic meal. Love your little herb markers! Your plants look very healthy. Mine are barely getting started.
I think this must be the worlds most eaten dinner. Yours looks superb!
Here I am, enjoying the pleasant surprise when I opened your blog. I love your outdoor setting for dinner and the chicken with tarragon and lemon? Lemon and chicken would made for eachother!
I am verging on the obsessive about roasting chickens – I can never get enough. I think that lemon and herbs are the absolute best partnership with chicken – you cannot beat it for comfort food with a hint of summer. Perfect.
mmmmm, ohman that bird looks fabulus! i think thats just the perfect meal!!
That looks just delicious, but the best bit for me are those wonderful looking veggies surrounding that chicken.
what can i say, but of course you never cease to amaze me with your talent..nothing could beat a roasted chicken slowly baked with herbs..i could already imagine the taste.;this will be our dinner for tonight!! yum
delicious perfect dinner ~ crispy skin looks inviting + as always lovely photos of herbs and the garden!
Lovely chicken presentation.
Oh that photo and garden marker for the tarragon is so precious!
We would like to feature your lemon chicken on our blog. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if interested. Thanks 🙂
wow looks great. yummy yummy yummy. Too bad that I don’t have a garden to plant some herbs…
Comments are now closed.