On Thursday evenings I have life figure drawing class and I get home late. A vegetable tagine is always a good choice on these evenings. I make it earlier in the day and reheat it for a late dinner. I’m ravenous when I get home! Serve with a simple fluffy white rice(ok, go more heathy with full grain or wild or some other grains, but I prefer the stark whiteness of white rice ).
Vegetable tagine a la Thursday.
- Three courgettes
- Four large spring onions with the greens
- One large red bell pepper
- Four carrots
- four tomatoes
- Two potatoes
- A handful of green beans
- can of chickpeas
- A handful of petit pois(fresh or frozen)
- A cinnamon stick
- olive oil
- Cardamom pod
- Juniper berries
- Two teaspoons of curry masala
- Flatleaf parsley
- A tablespoon or two of dry roasted almonds
- About two cups of vegetable stock
- Wash and chop the vegetables into chunks.
- Mix together the spices in a mortar and pestle (except the cinnamon stick), along with some olive oil.
- Sautee the chopped onion with the spices.
- Add the carrots and potatoes and sautee for a few minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and cinnamon stick and bring to a simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and bell and simmer until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the chickpeas, green beans and and turn off the heat.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust.
- Serve in a tagine, sprinkle with the fresh petit pois, the roasted almonds and finish off with flatleaf parslay.
- Serve with white rice or couscous.
Serves 4 people
…I’ll draw, you pose…