I suppose everyone thinks “chocolate” when in February and especially around the 14th. I’m breaking the rules a bit here…these small cherry and bacon rolls are much more popular in our home under my loved ones than chocolate. In fact, I’m the only chocolate fan around here! So, when I make my people these little rolls, they know it says something about my love for them.
Very easy, so much so that it doesn’t require any recipe. I’ve had this “recipe” for as long as I can remember. It is sort of my “signature” snack and I have not yet come across a single person who sticks to only one or even two.
- Simply roll some sweet “cake cherries” as we used to call them in strips thin bacon. Secure with a toothpick
- Bake in a 200 degrees C (356 degr F) oven until the bacon is caramelized. In a preheated oven, this won’t take longer than 12-15 minutes.
- Use some prunes or apricots instead of cherries.
- Use a leaner ham, like prosciutto or Serrano ham, cut in think slices and roll around the cherries. I’ve tried them all, but our favourite stays bacon strips.
- The bacon rolls can be fried in a pan(without oil), but they are crispier and tastier(and healthier) baked in the oven.
- Use simple toothpicks.. fancy ones will burn in the oven.
- Eat warm from the oven.
…cherries in syrup, strips of bacon, toothpicks…
…May you all have a cherry sweet Valentine’s day!..
from Chérie here in Corréze!
8 thoughts on “Cherry and bacon rolls..and happy Valentine!”
They look yummy and simple enough for me to make 🙂
Happy Valentine’s to you too!
These look really yummy and easy to make.
I continue to enjoy and look forward to your wonderful blog. What an inspiration! You may enjoy making these tasty little appetizers from a local chef here in northern California.
Who wouldn’t be happy with bacon any day, any time. Forget the chocolate, bring on the bacon. These would be VERY popular with my guests. Happy Valentine’s day Ronelle.
I love the sweet and salty play of these! I’d almost trade these for chocolate 😉
I think I’m going to have to make the cherry and bacon rolls for Easter brunch!
Comments are now closed.